The fire was so intense that firefighters had to drill holes and openings in the walls using JCB to throw water inside the first floor. Two bodies were reportedly found when the fire safety team searched the scene after completing the rescue
Hotel Levana Suites at the time of the fire. First post
Lucknow: The horrific fire that engulfed the Levana Suites hotel in Lucknow early Monday morning and claimed the lives of all four people had started at the first floor banquet and, as reports suggest, people trapped in the absence of an emergency exit.
While four people lost their lives despite the efforts of firefighters, 8 others were seriously injured. The hotel is located in the upscale district of Hazratganj, in the capital of Uttar Pradesh.
According to reports, there were around 35 to 40 people staying in the 18 of the hotel’s 30 rooms at the time the fire broke out. Two were pronounced dead at Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Civil Hospital, while 8 others were admitted for treatment, said Abhay Pratap Singh, fire safety officer at Hazratganj.
Firefighters had difficulty extinguishing firefighters due to missing emergency exit and extreme smoke in hotel lobby. As a result, firefighters used exterior ladders to access windows of 2nd and 3rd floor rooms where people were trapped, according to reports. Two bodies were reportedly found when the fire safety team searched the scene after completing the rescue.
The fire was so intense that firefighters had to drill holes and openings in the walls using JCB to throw water inside the first floor.
One of the guests staying in the hotel’s room number 210 reportedly said he rushed down the hall as soon as he heard screams. “The lobby was full of smoke so we were asked to return to our rooms from where the firefighters rescued me after breaking a window in the room,” he said.
Another guest who was present on the second floor allegedly said that hotel staff asked him to move to the upper floors because there was heavy smoke on the lower floors. He added that most of those who collapsed, including the two people who died, remained on the second floor.
The evacuation was completed around 10 a.m., when it took another hour to completely extinguish the fire. “The actual reason for the fire is not known, but we suspect a short circuit may have caused the fire,” Lucknow District Magistrate (DM) Suryapal Gangwar said.
Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, MP CM Brajesh Pathak are monitoring the situation closely. They visited the survivors in hospital, following which a detailed investigation was ordered.
At first glance, it appears that the fire department served a notice on hotel management a few months ago regarding inadequate fire safety measures, including the missing emergency exit. “The Lucknow development authorities have also been asked to submit the floor plans and design for the hotel building,” a law enforcement source said.
Meanwhile, Lucknow Police Commissioner SB Shiradkar said: ‘A forensic audit of the building will be carried out once the smoke clears, only after the real reason for the fire is determined, a detailed investigation is ongoing, any criminal act on the part of management will result in criminal prosecution of the suspect.”
(With the contribution of the agencies)
Read all Recent news, New trends, Cricket News, bollywood news,
India News and Entertainment News here. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.