The interior design industry offers many career opportunities. It not only gives you a creative outlet, but also gives you a sense of freedom and fulfillment. Everything you need to know from expert Sapna Aggarwal, Creative Director, ANSA Architecture and Interiors.
UPDATED: October 20, 2022 2:00 PM IST
Career Options to Choose from in the Interior Design Industry
By India Today Web Desk: Interior design is one of the most popular and promising careers today. People have now started to realize that having a properly designed home or office can go a long way. Where the client’s imagination ends, the interior designer’s imagination begins.
With the change in the social framework, India has reached a position where a large number of interior designers are needed. The interior design market is expected to grow exponentially over the next 2-3 years. There is no doubt that the interior design career is highly sought after.
WHY BUILD A CAREER IN THE INTERIOR DESIGN INDUSTRY?
The reach of this industry is growing as more and more people realize the importance of a well-designed space. Soaring real estate prices and the preference for themed interiors have contributed to the remarkable growth in demand for interior designers.
JOB ROLES IN INTERIOR DESIGN
The part that attracts many students to the interior design industry is the ability to choose different interior design fronts depending on their area of interest.
- For those who wish to style houses according to the latest trends and with their unique touch, they can specialize in residential interior design.
- Another popular career choice to specialize in could be commercial interior design. Unlike residential interior design which is about meeting customer needs, commercial design is all about preparing a business to attract new customers.
- For example, hotel design, restaurant design, and even retail store design fall under commercial design.
- There is also a high demand for corporate interior designers. As more companies work hard to attract their employees to the office, great office design that makes their employees feel like they are at home has become essential, driving the demand skyrocketing. of office interior designers.
- Hospitals are never pleasant to live in, but a welcoming and well-designed space is essential to the functioning of a hospital. A career in healthcare interior design can therefore be a very successful option.
- Kitchen, bathroom and lighting design are some of the other specialties chosen by many professionals, given the growing demand.
- There is also exhibition design which revolves around the design of exhibition layouts, decoration of venues, floor management and museum design.
- Another emerging career option is furniture design. Many interior designers select furniture to place in the spaces they design, but who designs that furniture? Furniture design is a specialized interior design career focused on developing furniture that is comfortable, functional, and visually appealing.
IS INTERIOR DESIGN A GOOD CAREER?
The interior design industry offers many career opportunities. It not only gives you a creative outlet, but also gives you a sense of freedom and fulfillment. In the interior design industry, you are not limited to just one career option. You can specialize in one of the available options or even specialize in more than one. There’s nothing more exciting than building something new from scratch. But, like any other job opportunity, a career in interior design has its own pros and cons.
- Benefits include flexible working hours, getting a creative outlet, decent pay scale, relatively shorter period of study, exciting job opportunities, and a growing industry.
- Disadvantages can include a lot of back and forth, the need to learn how to handle different clients, the need to multitask, and long hours of work.
Like any other industry and career, the interior design industry can suit many, but some people may not find the right choice. Therefore, it is important that you think carefully about the job responsibilities of the career and specialization you are considering and only then start working towards your goal of building a career in this industry.
The basic skills needed to build a career in interior design include spatial awareness, technical knowledge, budgeting, time management, and dynamic creativity. You will also need excellent soft skills, problem-solving ability and critical thinking.